Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Victoria Hundt "Bremen: Small Town Living"

"Bremen: Small Town Living"
 
Good Education

Farming

Community and Family

Religion

Small Businesses



I’ve lived in Bremen all my life and I just wanted to show what I think defines Bremen. I decided to choose top five ideas that define my hometown. The first picture is a picture of Bremen’s public school which consists of the high school, middle school, and elementary school combined in one building. Bremen’s public school got an “A” from the Indiana Department of Education. The second picture is of a farm in the area. Farming is a really big component of Bremen. The third picture is of the Jane Stillson Memorial Park. Jane Stillson was a woman of the Bremen community that found out she had breast cancer soon after becoming pregnant. She was told in order to survive she needed to abort her unborn child. She chose her baby. Later this park was built in memory of her. I think her story and the construction of the park in her honor demonstrate the idea that Bremen has strong sense of family and community. The fourth picture is of one of the fourteen churches we have in Bremen. Bremen has a population less than 5000, but we have 14 churches. I think the number of churches gives a good idea of how important religion is to Bremen. The last picture is of our movie theater in town. Bremen has a lot of small businesses throughout the community that are owned by families that have lived in Bremen for generations. Overall, the series demonstrates the idea that bigger doesn’t always mean better. Bremen may not have a lot going on due to its small size, but it is strong in values and community.

1 comment:

  1. I like the images that you chose for series on small town life--they remind me of photographs that one might find in a travel brochure for Bremen.The second photograph illustrates the pastoral aspect associated with "country life" and the last two photos really capture the ideal of small town living. It's funny how misleading or narrow a narrative five images can produce. I grew up in Bremen and the images of childhood and adolescence that I have stored away over the years have little in common with these idyllic photographs.

    ReplyDelete